I did some measuring and pouring over blueprints for a couple days and came to the decision that the frames could be used. The castings themselves weren't the only problem. I also had tolerance issues with almost ever machined dimension of the frame. Fortunately, most of the problems were with too much material instead of not enough. That meant that every part would have to be hand fitted. I ordered off for two Sarco kits and they arrived in short order. Almost all the parts from Sarco were surprisingly to spec. The only out of tolerance parts that I got from them were the flat mainspring housing and I had an issue with the compensated barrel to bushing being a little looser than I would have liked. Both problems were easily fixable.
All the work was done by file and sanding blocks. A can of three dollar appliance paint was used for finish and heated in a dedicated toaster oven at about 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
I spent around,
$140 per Tactical Machining frame.
$110 per Sarco kit.
$130 per Palmetto slide.
$15 per ambi safety.
$4 for paint.
$40 or so in shipping.
That adds up to about $450 per gun, not including the compensator and dot sight. The dot sight I won as a door prize, so I don’t know what they go for.
Another cheap 80% TM/Sarco 1911 build.